Friday, September 10, 2010

Soapbox Friday: Grand Theft Auto IV












So, Grand Theft Auto IV yea, I realize this is way late, but hey I didn't have a blog then and I do now so here it is. In my personal opinion GTA IV is one of the most over rated games of all time. Don't get me wrong if you love gritty realism, a poor driving mechanic, and being annoyed by your NPC cousin, then by all means GTA IV is the game for you. You may be thinking to yourself, " man that's all a little harsh Mr. TTB." Well I disagree, this game was hyped so much as the best Grand Theft Auto ever, and that it may be, that's not my point. I own the game and I invested a handful of time into it, no I didn't beat it, if you follow me or read regularly you will see that I buy a lot and finish few. The characters are mediocre at best and in most cases Rockstar's attempt to be edgy and to see how many mothers they can piss off. Before it is said, I do not have a personal vendetta against Rockstar and i am not a prude in any sense of the word, I just hate when customers are fed games that they are TOLD are ground breaking and they aren't. When playing this game i found myself bored and actually a little depressed, the game was very realistic and I felt that I was actually an immigrant trying to make it on the mean streets. There is only one problem with this, it was too real, I get enough gritty depression in that one game that we all play, gamer or not, the big L, Life. This game was not for me, but that doesn't mean it isn't for anyone, if you have had everything in your life given to you, haven't had to work for anything, have never had a down day, then this game will bring real life to you.

Just to prove that I am not completely biased, Saint's Row 2, This game felt like a game, it was not depressing and it was by no means realistic. The characters were juiced up ridiculous egos that we wish we could possess and exhibit in real life. Again the driving mechanic is unrealistic at best and the story is a little short, but Volition did a very good job in appealing to the things that gamers see as fun, nudity, senseless killing and of course fast driving with no real consequence. Saint's Row 2 is a game not an interactive walk down a street in Depressionville.

Well thanks for listening/reading my rant and I promise not all of my posts will be so... confrontational, if you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment